In addition to buildings and books, this levy provides essential funding to keep our buses rolling with the precious cargo of our kids. We are very proud of the aggressive maintenance and repair we make on our fleet of buses – but our kids also deserve high quality newer buses.
Let’s pass this levy and tell the more than 1,200 kids in the Ravenna School District who ride the buses that they deserve up-to-date, safe and reliable transportation throughout our city and township with this plan:
- Add 2 new buses each year to our rotation of 20+ school buses – keeping our fleet more cost-effective, safe and reliable.
- Enable proactive maintenance that saves money and adds longevity to buses.
- For safety reasons, the state of Ohio asks that schools replace buses for 5 years. We maintain ours for an average of 13 years. Our oldest one was made in 1996! Let’s get some new buses in the mix.
2015-16 Quick Facts:
- Average daily route miles – 1,165 – that’s 220,185 per school year!
- Average year non-routine trips – 830 – that’s special transportation that we are required to provided that does not receive state compensation
- Average year non-routine miles – 20,919
- Average cost of replacing front tires – $770 for 2 tires – they must match
- Average cost of replacing a rear tire – $150
- Average cost of fuel – $90K – this fluctuates due to price of gas – the year before it was $120K
- Maintenance costs estimated at $45K in 2016-16.
We will adopt the books and technology that have the most up-to-date information and methods. The newest curriculums – especially in math, social studies and science – to include the latest technology. This helps our students compete!
For the safety and comfort of the students, we need to replace the leaky roofs at Carlin and West Park Elementary schools and to replace pipes, repair boilers and update the security in our other buildings.